Fungus converts cellulose and other organic materials into food to support further spore growth--spreading the damage far beyond the initial point of water intrusion. In this case, significant structural damage occurred due to past water leaks. The former owner concealed this damage beneath siding without disclosing it. This home was inspected by a "referred" inspector prior to closing, but the new homeowner was the one who discovered it months later. Hiring an independent, licensed inspector with building trades experience is critical to discovering deliberately hidden defects that make houses "sick."
Mold grows wherever high humidity or excessive moisture is found within the home. This can be caused by any number of defects, some seemingly minor at the time, but all of which can significantly detract from indoor air quality.
Chronic exposure to mold is known to cause a host of symptoms including but not limited to:
- Itching or irritation of the eyes, nose, or throat.
- Skin rashes.
- Runny nose and sinus congestion.
- Frequent sneezing or coughing.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Headaches and fatigue.
CDC's Mold and Health Affects Resources Web site
What can be done if you suspect you're living in a "sick" house?
Consult an IAC2 certified mold remediation specialist who has the building science knowledge and trades experience to properly identify and correct material defects contributing to poor indoor air quality. Remember, any licensed MHIC "Chuck in a truck" can perform "remediation" services in Maryland, so be sure to ask questions and do your research. A great place to begin research is EPA's Mold and Your Home Resources Web site
Don't trust your home investment or your family's health to a "handyman..." Insist on hiring a Pro-Labs® supported IAC2 certified remediation contractor that has bonafide experience! Click here to find an IAC2 certified individual in your area